NAOMI stands for North central Area congregations Organized to Make an Impact. We aim to bring together communities of faith to create community, build leadership, and to identify and act on issues of injustice.
“Where you go I will go” Ruth 1:16
Faith communities covenanting with NAOMI are united based on shared values such as equality and human dignity. We work with congregations and people of faith in collaboration with community partners and public officials so all have a voice and a role in bringing about strong and just communities.
As an organization that works to address systemic change, we are often engaged in public as well as political affairs. A non-partisan group, NAOMI is comprised of members of all political parties; we do not endorse candidates or parties. We believe in the need to build relationships with all elected officials and in the need to hold public officials accountable, no matter what party they represent.
Formed in 2010, NAOMI is part of WISDOM, a Wisconsin network of eleven affiliates throughout the state. WISDOM is a member of the Gamaliel Foundation, a national network that works to address issues of justice. While NAOMI maintains its own board of directors, bylaws, and selects its issues to work on locally, our partnership with WISDOM and Gamaliel allows us to work together at the state and national level.
NAOMI seeks to:
- Deliver a message of hope, healing, and unity as an interfaith community that reaches beyond the divisions of race, creed, and socio-economic barriers.
- Build solid relationships with one another and with the greater community.
- Identify and take action on root causes of poverty, oppression, and injustice.
- Be agents of change that build upon and create strong and just communities.
- Empower and train leaders to respond to injustices at the local, state, and national level.